At some point while running your business there will become a time when you have to relocate; be it expanding, downsizing or your revenue has increased and a more attractive office becomes an option. Before moving it is worth while making a plan so your move goes without a hitch and often its the best time to implement changes which can make the running of your business smoother. Here are five tips to help you along your way:
- The first thing I organise is the telecommunication and broadband, it’s important to get this organised first. Many businesses can’t operate without broadband so the last thing you want is to realise on your move date that you have no broadband in the new premises. Some of the best providers allow you to have broadband and telephone lines in both premises for a couple of weeks while you are in the move process.
- Your new office will probably have a completely different layout, so you need to plan how you can use the space as efficiently as possible and where to move everything.
- Speak to your IT company to discuss any obstacles or new opportunities that may be presented. Now would be the best time to change the layout of the network or perhaps install a new telephone system.
- See if you can renegotiate contracts with suppliers, can you get a better deal on your phone lines or broadband? Could you get your printer/photocopier rental for less?
- Make a budget, carefully plan what costs are involved with your move and what new equipment will be required in the new premises. It’s important to try and minimise the effect on your operations, so you don’t lose any money while in the process of moving. An external IT support company can move all of your equipment and services over across a weekend, so everything will be in place for you on Monday to continue working.